BYU sophomore power forward Brandon Davies(11.1 ppg 6.2 rpg) was suspended for the remainder of the season for violating the school’s honor code by admitting to having sexual relations with his girlfriend. BYU is a Mormon university and all students who attend there are expected to adhere to the school’s honor code which as follows:
- Abstinence from illicit drugs, alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and tea (substances forbidden by the LDS Word of Wisdom)
- Encouraging others in their commitment to keep the Honor Code
- Living a chaste and virtuous life:
- Appropriate gender-specific behavior (no sexual harassment)
- No involvement with pornographic or indecent material
- No inappropriate sexual activity (no sexual relationships outside of marriage)
- No homosexual behavior
- Obedience to the law
- Active participation in Church services (according to whatever religion of which one is a member)
- Respect for others
- Clean language
- Following the “Residential Living Standards” (visiting hours for members of the opposite sex)
- Dress and Grooming Standards. Abiding by the guidelines for dress, grooming, and housing. Skirts and shorts must reach to the knee and shirts may not be sleeveless. Form fitting, strapless and revealing clothing is not appropriate. Male students may not wear beards or goatees without permission; such permission is usually granted only to men with skin conditions aggravated by shaving, men whose religious beliefs require them to wear beards, or theatrical performances requiring beards.
- Students are prohibited from having guns on campus.
Now these standards are far more strict then at other universities, where the use of alcohol, illegal drugs(though not allowed), and sex are common and frequent acts. Most college students are between the ripe ages of 18-22, in which their hormones are out of control and they start to indulge in partying, drinking, and sex.
It has to be hard to refrain from having premarital sex, that’s why majority of Mormons are married at a young age. But imagine being an athlete on a major college campus in where the females are ready to show groupie love by the tons. Davies knew what he was getting himself into when he decided to attend BYU, and he should have either married the girl or waited til after the season was over to perform the act(easier said then done).
So now the Cougars chance at making a deep run in the tournament is virtually over. Davies was the only athletic big man they had on the team and his presence in the paint was sorely missed as they got thrashed Wedneday by 18 at home versus New Mexico. Jimmer Fredette scored 33 points but it came on 10-26 from the field and 1-9 from 3 point land. They were beat on the boards 36-25 as well.
Whatever dream season BYU players, students, and alumni had in mind is a wash. This team is going to be exposed after running through their weak conference schedule and they are one bad match-up away from being ousted in the 2nd round of the tournament. I predict an 2nd round exit for the shorthanded Cougars.